Skip to content

The Paperwork You Need When Selling Your House

Selling your home can seem like a lengthy process, but rather than being one single task, it is made up of many small tasks. You might be surprised at the amount of paperwork associated with selling a home, but when you think about the amount of money involved, there is a need for a lot of administrative work.

There is also a lot of legal work associated with a property deal, which is why it makes sense to arrange as much of your paperwork in advance.

The housing market is busy right now

There is significant demand for homes right now, thanks to the stamp duty holiday. The Office for Budget Responsibility (the OBR) believes there will be an additional 100,000 properties sold because of the stamp duty holiday.

If you haven’t sold a home before, it will feel like a daunting task. However, we are more than happy to assist you. At Lock & Key, we have helped many homeowners connect with buyers, and sell their home.

An overview of the paperwork you need includes:

  • Proof of your identity
  • Property title deeds
  • Any leasehold or freehold documentation
  • An Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)
  • If applicable, a management information pack relating to a leasehold
  • Fittings and contents form, the TA10
  • Property information form, the TA6
  • Mortgage details

When you move close to selling your home, the following documents will also be of use

1.            Acceptance of offer

2.            A valuation (online or one carried out by a professional)

Find your deeds and hold on to them

If you plan on selling your home, it makes sense you will be required to prove you have the right to sell the property. The title deeds or documents for the property provide you with evidence of property owners.

If you cannot find your title deeds, contact the solicitor who assisted you when buying the property. They might have a copy of the deeds, or they should be able to help you carry out a Land Registry search to claim the deeds.

With all documents, take the time to review them, looking out for the following issues:

  • All names and addresses are correct
  • The property boundaries are stated on the plan, and are correct
  • There is a note of any rights for private water supply or private drainage
  • If there is a right of way, this is noted
  • If there are issues you need to correct, contact your solicitor for guidance.
  • Has your home been altered?

If you have carried out home improvements at the home, you should look to offer evidence of these changes. Improvements such as structural changes, loft conversions or extensions should have paperwork relating to the changes made, and you will be required to present these during the sales process.

If you are looking to make a move in the Melksham property market, and you would like to speak with local experts, please get in touch. If you would like to arrange a property valuation, contact us and we will set this up for you. You can phone Lock & Key on 01225 707 342 or why not come and visit us at 5 Church Street, Melksham.

Back To Top